I have spent 12 hours this week working on the kitchen. At 11:30 P.M. last night, I finished priming. My back ached, my calves were sore from climbing up and down the ladder, and my hand had been transformed into a claw in the shape of a paint brush handle. I deserved a little treat.
Warm weather makes me crave spicy, zesty flavors even more than usual and I’ve had an itch all week to use cilantro in a cocktail. Enter the cilantro martini. I used this recipe, with 3 alterations, which are noted below.
I loved it. It was spicy, strange, and strong. Definitely not a drink for everyone, but I could imagine this being delicious with Mexican food.
- heaping handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated and minced
- * juice from 1 lime (I used lemon)
- * 1/2 oz Simple Syrup (I used honey)
- 2 oz citrus flavored vodka (I used my own lemon-infused vodka)
- 1/2 oz gin (I used Bombay Sapphire)
- Fill shaker with crushed ice, cilantro, lime juice, and simple syrup. Muddle well. *Note: I diced my cilantro prior to muddling. This wasn’t intentional, but more a symptom of exhaustion. I ended up liking the bits of cilantro floating in my drink, though I bet many would not. Conclusion: If you don’t want green stuff in your glass, skip the knife.
- Add vodka and gin shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail shaker and enjoy.