Week 10 in Review

My goal this week was to have the kitchen cabinet boxes finished before our countertop installation on Friday. Over the weekend, my dad and Tyler finished building the refrigerator enclosure by adding trim to give a built-in look, rebuilt the “top” of the pantry cabinet, and did some other detail work that was necessary before I could begin (by that I mean I forgot). They also cut crown molding for the kitchen cabinets from more substantial trim to give a higher end look. Electricity is their new best friend, it seems, as they also moved two outlets on the back of the bar so they would be higher and out of the way and make for more attractive results when we cover the back of the bar with board and batten wainscoting later.

After thoroughly cleaning the cabinets with water and TSP to remove oils and dirt, the process started with a lot of wood filler and a lot more sanding. Fill, sand, repeat. There were several areas that needed some heavy duty filling – and building up – to connect gaps and smooth plywood. After several rounds of wood filler, I moved on to spackle, covering most of the wood grain before sanding again, with increasingly fine sandpaper. Finally, it was time to remove all of this fine dust – first with the vacuum cleaner, then with tack cloth. However, this process took so long that I only finished 2 coats of primer before Friday. The paint will have to be done around the new countertops. Even still, the kitchen is much brighter and it’s nice to see progress. That white kitchen I’ve dreamt of is just over the horizon! 

On Friday, the countertop installers arrived bright and early and got to work. By 11:30 they were already packing up. It seemed too good to be true! After the overwhelming, sparkly brightness of my new quartz countertops wore off,  a couple of major problems became glaringly apparent. The countertop stuck out a 1/4″ farther on one side of the stove than another. The piece appeared to be ill-fitted and even the seam where it abutted the bar section of the counter was sloppy. Then, the worst of all – a corner appeared to be chipped! It had been filled – imperfectly – but the break was clear to the eye and even more obvious to the touch. Each time my fingernail caught in that divot I felt sick. We were understandably upset. After investing thousands of dollars on an upgrade for your home, to find that it is imperfect, and worse – broken! – was heartbreaking. I knew they would have to deal with us again, as due to a defective faucet, the company would need to return to hook up our plumbing. So, I resolved to get the issue fixed to our satisfaction. Normally I don’t like to make a fuss, but I decided this was one occasion when it was appropriate to make sure the results were what I wanted.

This week, Tyler also built raised garden beds out of cedar per my plans and our plant babies have continued growing. A midweek ice storm stressed some of our young trees but they all appear to have pulled through with no ill effects. Whew!

Week 10

Saturday April 6 – Friday April 12

The top of the pantry cabinet has been rebuilt to make it sturdier, and trim added that matches the cabinets. It has been filled and sanded so no seams show.

The top of the pantry cabinet has been rebuilt to make it sturdier, and trim added that matches the cabinets. It has been filled and sanded so no seams show.

Welcome to prime time.

Welcome to prime time.

A sneak peek at my new raised garden beds! They'll all be sunk into the ground, then filled with soil.

A sneak peek at my new raised garden beds! They’ll all be sunk into the ground, then filled with soil.

Our baby trees were struck hard by the late spring ice storm.

Our baby trees were struck hard by the late spring ice storm.

Even the deck was bejeweled with icy adornment.

Even the deck was bejeweled with icy adornment.

The install crew handled this large, expensive piece of material with astonishing speed.

The install crew handled this large, expensive piece of material with astonishing speed.

My first look at our new countertops. I was blinded by their beauty.

My first look at our new countertops. I was blinded by their beauty.

A shot from below of the two steel supports that were added to handle the 18" overhang.

A shot from below of the two steel supports that were added to handle the 18″ overhang.

I was thrilled - until some inconsistencies began to creep into view. This joint was rather sloppy, in my view.

I was thrilled – until some inconsistencies began to creep into view. This joint was rather sloppy, in my view.

And this spot where the counter butts against the wall seemed odd --- and it pushed the counter more than 1/4" farther from the wall than its neighbor.

And this spot where the counter butts against the wall seemed odd — and it pushed the counter more than 1/4″ farther from the wall than its neighbor.

But, the last straw was when I realized this corner had been damaged.

But, the last straw was when I realized this corner had been damaged.

We'll work to resolve the other problems with the countertop installation company and in the meantime - enjoy our first toast on the new surface!

We’ll work to resolve the other problems with the countertop installation company and in the meantime – enjoy our first toast on the new surface!

  • Finished the kitchen cabinet construction
  • Cut crown molding for the kitchen cabinets
  • Bought supplies for and built raised garden beds
  • Moved electrical outlets on the back of the bar
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – wood filler
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – sanding
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – spackle
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – sanding
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – cleaning
  • Kitchen cabinet boxes – priming, sanding, cleaning – repeat x2
  • Countertop installation

Anne

Leave a Reply