Week 2 In Review

Welcome to Week 2 of our upstairs remodel. As I mentioned in Week 1¬†, the stories other people share online about their real-life experiences renovating their homes helped me immensely as I planned our own projects. I’m sharing our story in hopes that it helps someone as well. We are embarking on a modestly-priced remodel of our builder-beige, middle-class suburban home while still working two full-time jobs. This is how we are doing it- putting one foot in front of the other.

Week 2

Saturday Feb 9- Friday February 15

The theme of this week (and of many more to come, I fear) is “painting!”. We didn’t paint ceilings when we moved in as we were exhausted from painting every other wall in this 2700 ft property, but they desperately needed it. So, paint we have. And paint we will… and then, we’ll probably paint some more… Tyler and I spent a combined total of 34 hours this week, I estimate. Approximately 2 hours min. each evening, then more time on on the weekends. My sister Naomi also pitched in with painting one evening, adding 3 hours of productivity to our total, for a combined total of 37 hours of work on the house this week.

  • Bought ceiling paint and paint for the closets, along with supplies for painting the kitchen cabinet properly
  • Patched and sanded the closet in the white room and prepared it for painting
  • Painted the ceiling in the white room, along with the ceiling of the closet (2 coats of rolling and cutting in)
  • Removed the carpet from the hallway, linen closet, and office
  • Emptied the linen closet and guest bathroom
  • Removed doors from the linen closet, bathroom, and office closet, along with the blinds in the office
  • Emptied the contents of the office then demolished the old closet shelves
  • Removed hardware from all the doors we’ve been removing – and labeled it and stored it together
  • Patched and sanded the office walls (4 coats of spackle + wall patches) and prepared for painting
  • Removed all the outlet and light switch covers from the front bedroom, hallway, guest bathroom, and office
  • Painted the ceiling of the guest bathroom, the hallway, and the linen closet (2 coats rolling + cutting in)
  • Painted the first coat of the office ceiling
  • Started cutting in in the front bedroom closet and the linen closet
  • Scheduled a “measure” from Home Depot to get an estimate for installing flooring
  • Tried different countertop configurations (by mocking them up out of cardboard) and decided on a winner
  • Finished painting the office ceiling
  • Finished the first coat on the two closets
Using cardboard to plot a new countertop shape.

Using cardboard to plot a new countertop shape.

Creating the curve for the new counter with the trusty  pencil-on-a-string method.

Creating the curve for the new counter with the trusty pencil-on-a-string method.

Getting a feel for the proposed countertop shape. It expands the amount of room between the table and dining room while still allowing seating.

Getting a feel for the proposed countertop shape. It expands the amount of room between the table and dining room while still allowing seating.

Not every second of the renovation is hard work. Time for a little beauty!

Not every second of the renovation is hard work. Time for a little beauty!

The office, in progress. The closet shelves are down and the patching is in progress. Next comes paint!

The office, in progress. The closet shelves are down and the patching is in progress. Next comes paint!

The front bedroom closet gets a coat of color - if you consider grey a color.

The front bedroom closet gets a coat of color – if you consider grey a color.

Anne

Leave a Reply